Visiting A New City? Here’s 5 Things You Will Need
Posted on: 03 June 2019 by Emma Parsons
There is often more to planning a trip away than people realise. If you have decided to visit a new city, there are a few things that you should be doing to make sure that you are prepared. Confirming your bookings for everything that you have booked in advance and doing your research on the area before you go are very important. However, there are a few things that you will need to take with you that are essential for those who want to get the most out of their trip.
- Your phone - When it comes to travelling around a new city, your phone is your best friend. Whether you need to check your maps to help you find your way around or you need to find your booking details for daily activities, your phone will be there to help you out. Downloading apps that help you find the closest amenities like public toilets, restaurants and supermarkets is a good idea, so you can get a sense of the place before you venture out. Your phone is also great for taking photos while you are travelling to somewhere new. If you are going away for a long trip and you want to make sure that you capture everything, you should make sure you have enough storage space on your device for any photos or apps that you might need.
- Comfortable clothing - Feeling uncomfortable is the last thing that you want to worry about when you are trying to find your way around, so if you can wear something that is comfortable you will make the experience a lot easier on yourself. Most people like to do a bit of walking around to get a sense of the place when they are visiting a new city, so wearing something that is hard to walk in is not ideal. You should also be packing clothes to wear during your trip to suit the weather. Make sure to check the weather and conditions before you begin packing to ensure that you will have the right clothes for every occasion while you are away.
- A hire car - If you are visiting a big city, or a place that has a lot of attractions closeby, you should consider booking a hire car, so that you don’t have to spend lots of money on public transport or taxis. Having your own car makes it a lot easier to get around because you can do your own thing at your own pace. If you do decide to hire a car, you will need to consider are your parking options in and around the place that you are staying at. Apps like Parkhound are great to have while you are travelling, because it allows you to find many parking spots in your chosen area. The app helps you to find people in your area that are renting out a car space, so you can make a booking and not have to worry about parking fines or making sure that you are leaving your car in a secure area.
- Portable charger - If your phone is your best friend when you are travelling, you will need to make sure that it doesn’t run out of battery when you are out and about in a new city. Even though many big cities will have charging stations or ports available in high traffic areas around the city, you should still be prepared for when you can’t find them or don’t have access. If you take a portable charger with you for when you are going to be looking around, you can make sure that you don’t lose charge on your phone when you need it most.
- A good water-bottle - When you are travelling, it is easy to get caught up in the moment and forget to stay hydrated. If you have a water bottle with you, you won’t have to worry because you will be able to have water on the go whenever you need it. These days, there are many different types of water bottles for a number of different users, so you should be able to find something on the market to suit your needs and budget. It might seem easy to buy a bottle of water from the convenience store but bottled water is not good for you or for the planet, so refilling your BPA free bottle over and over again will be less expensive and more environmentally friendly.
It can be hard to pack for a trip away, especially if you have never been to the destination that you are going to before. The key is to make sure you research the area before you go, so that you can get a sense of the place before you get there. If you know someone who knows the area well, you should talk to them about the place before you go. At the end of the day most locals will be happy to help you if you are struggling to get around, so if you get lost or want a recommendation, consult someone that lives there.