Digital Credentials and Education
Posted on: 18 January 2019 by Aileen Scott
Digital credentials are gaining industry wide recognition because not only it allows learners to display their credentials online, but also it is easy for prospective hiring managers to track the details of the program attended by the learner.
Fierce competition, constant shift in the demand for required skills for jobs, make professionals and students alike a little anxious about being upgraded and updated so as to match the professional demands.
Professionals in their respective fields and students studying to enter the job market ensure that they are learning a niche skill in their profession. So that they become recruiters’ favorite or court a promotion in their organization.
This is where digital credentials enter the scene and were ready to change the world of education system. How, you may ask! Well here’s how –
As said earlier the demands in the job market for each profession is continuously changing thus leaving the professionals and students to earn new qualifications and develop new skills to stay abreast in their career. This is where certifications were introduced for professionals and even beginners. However, as the technology evolved, the traditional paper certifications gave way to digital badges and digital credentials.
Digital credentials were more people-friendly owing to their properties like
- Storage on cloud: Digital credential did away with the storage problem as it can be stored on cloud and can be retrieved any time on any device.
- Reduced other risks and liabilities: The major risk involved with the traditional paper-certifications was that it can get lost, torn or at times fade with time. Digital credentials were free of all these problems.
- Expiration date: Both paper certifications and digital credentials come with an expiry date. However, with digital credentials it will be easy to keep a track of the expiry date and one can take the exam or apply for the recertification/credentials again.
Education System Adopting Digital Credentials
Students in the professional courses realize the importance of certifications and digital credentials are the best way to earn those credentials. While learning the course material, students want to learn other skills that will help them get a job and so are opting for credentials that teach them industry-aligned skills. And digital credentials are gaining importance among students because these credentials focus on specialisms of the course and help in bridging the knowledge gaps in the real time workplace.
This is all fine but why are digital credentials on the rise is what the question is, right? So here is the answer –
While both certification and digital credentials are earned after the learner has completed the certification course or credential-based course, the major reason digital credential is gaining popularity because it can be verified online.
In spite of being in their growing stage, digital credentials are gaining industry wide recognition because not only it allows learners to display their credentials online, but also it is easy for prospective hiring managers to track the details of the program attended by the learner.
To make it more clear here are five reasons why digital credentials are growing more important with each passing day –
- The course taught is linked with job market needs
- Provide in-demand skills
- Adds a new dimension to your profile
- Make you stand apart from the competition
- It offers continuous development