33 things the over 60s don't miss about being youngerPosted by Olderiswiser Editorial
Two thirds (63 percent) of over 60s say they are happier now than they have ever been ... and the don't miss the strife that comes with being young.
Ferrying the kids around, having a boss who breathes down your neck – and the daily stress of running a family home, have emerged among a list of things the older generation DO NOT miss about being younger, according to a new study.
Worrying about your weight, being woken up by the sound of an alarm clock, and the constant juggle of work and childcare also emerged as aspects of life the nation’s retirees are MORE than happy to have left behind.
Researchers polled adults aged 60 and over and asked them to list the life activities they do not hanker after, including sitting exams, worrying about what people think of you, cooking meals for the family every night - and waiting for pay day.
Ironing school uniforms on a Sunday night and hosting the family Christmas were also we are glad to see the back of in our golden years.
Of those polled, 87 percent said, although they enjoyed their youth and miss certain aspects of it – they are just as happy now as they ever were, with nearly two thirds (63 percent) saying they are happier now than they have ever been.
More than half said their relationship with their spouse was at its best now – with half saying it was due to not having the stress of work and running a family home.
What the over 60s don't miss about being young
- Being at work five days a week
- Having to get up to an alarm clock
- Having to be up and out the house at a certain time
- Revising for and sitting exams
- Enduring the daily commute to work
- Financial worries
- Having to dress suitably for work everyday
- Having to spend your working week with people you don’t like
- Having a boss who breathes down your neck
- Getting children up and ready for school
- Juggling work and family commitments
- Waiting for pay day
- Tidying up after the children all day long
- Worrying about what other people think
- Having awkward first dates
- Never having a lie-in
- Ironing school uniforms on a Sunday night
- Not being confident in myself
- Packing everything but the kitchen sink for family holidays
- Struggling to get on the property ladder
- Juggling afterschool activities and parents evening etc
- The stress of running a family home
- Worrying so much about my looks
- Worrying so much about what the scales say
- Cooking large family meals every night
- Competitiveness amongst friends
- Having to do DIY at the weekends
- Cooking several different meals for the family every night
- Doing a big weekly food shop
- Having to host the family Christmas
- Having to socialise with other parents
- Spending all day staring at a screen
- Being called out as an emergency service when kids breakdown
Is there anything you are glad to see the back that preoccupied you when you were young? If it isn't on the list add it in the comment box below.
Share with friends
Related Blog Posts
13 Jun 2019Routine Home Maintenance Tips for Res...
3 Jun 2019Nightlife In Dubai: What's In The Sto...
3 Jun 2019How to employ the best nearby Blind I...